Saturday, October 3, 2009

Movie Review: Zombieland

Intro: Zombies and Laughs. Bill Murray too!




Synopsis: In this horror comedy, Zombieland focuses on two men who have found a way to survive a world overrun by zombies.




Review: I apologize, usually when I do reviews I do them before the movie is released. I saw it yesterday and am kind of late on the review. Zombieland to me at first looked like another Shaun of the Dead, however it still looked like a fun flick. I'm telling you right now that is exactly what this movie is.

The movie is centered around our hero Columbus (Played by Jesse Eisenberg), a eighteen year old loner who claims the only reason he is alive is because he was always very distant from people in the first place. He has also compiled a list of rules to follow if you want to survive in zombieland. These rules pop up in titles randomly throughout the movie as they are demonstrated. A very funny, unique, and effective element in this movie.


Our loner eventually meets up with a twinkie loving badass named Talahassee (Woody Harrelson). I think this movie is the most that Woody Harrelson has stuck out since Kingpin. He was fantasic in this movie, very humorous and in some parts pretty emotional. After seeing this I can't imgagine anyone else playing this character.


Also thought it was funny how Abigail Breslin (My Sister's Keeper, Signs) was brought into this movie to portray such a badass little 12 year old. She was great and has come a long way since the little girl in Signs. Emma Stone was good in Superbad, I'm not really going to say much about The Rocker. In this she seemed a little darker then the normal teenage girl that she usually plays which is good because it kind of lets me know she can play more then one character.


The screams were good, but if there is any part of the movie that pushes a screm out of you, there will definatly be a laugh to follow. This movie's gore was fantastic we definatly get too see a good look inside the human body during some parts of the movie. There were a lot of creative zombie kills in this film, particularly one that takes place on the blast off ride at the amusement park (watch for it). They did add camera splatter in this movie which is sometimes overused, but in this movie is used a lot better then I have seen in the past.


Now if you don't do good with horror I wouldn't worry too much because this movie is one of the funniest that I've seen all year. It effectivly uses a lot of random humor, and the characters work off of each other so well. Bill Murray also made a fantasic cameo and definatly added a very memorable scene to his career. Overall I think I will probably go see this again more then once.


Conclusion: If you love fun flicks, laughing and gore. See it now. Don't take your kids though.


Grade: A-

No comments: